Thursday, February 4, 2010

Archangel Michael Greek Orthodox Church

Yesterday was a dreary day with lots of rain and thunder storms that lasted well into late afternoon. However, in spite of the weather, I had a very pleasant meeting with the pastor of one of our local churches, Archangel Michael Greek Orthodox Church. I was on my way to work as a Citrus County Realtor / consultant at ERA American Realty in Inverness and decided to stop by the Church in hope to get some information for my Citrus County houses of worship page on www.CitrusCountyForSale.com.


Upon entering the Temporary Chapel set up in the Family Community Center I was met by a Parishioner after briefly explaining my mission, he introduced me to the Pastor, Rev. Fr. Demetrios Simeonidis, a handsome man with a speckled beard and welcoming smile. He is well spoken, personable and friendly, and not at all as I had expected. I found him to be down to earth, practical, and not like experiences I had years ago with the Pastor of a Greek Orthodox Church In New York City just a block away from the Theatre District at Broadway, near Times Square. The Pastor there was a Bishop, elderly and near retirement who planned on returning to a monastery on top of a mountain in Constantinople in Europe. But that's another unusual experience I probably write about sometime in the future.


The congregation was in the completion stage of building a new and beautiful Domed Church in Lecanto. The Pastor Fr. Demetrious explained they were planning to have the opening services and dedication on St Valentine’s Day, February 14, 2010. I am now planning attending the ceremony even though I am not a member of the Greek Orthodox Religion. I am looking forward to it because I have always been interested in different cultures, having been raised there, went to school and was a business owner located in New York City.


Farther Demetrious reminded me of the forth coming Spring Greek festival going to be held April 15th through to the 18th. My wife Sandy, daughter Nicole and I have attended several times. It is a very popular event because there are Folk dances with traditional costumes, music with authentic instruments, singing, food, cakes, beverage, gifts etc. It is well organized and truly a lively, colorful, cultural affair which I strongly recommend attending. Posted here are pictures of the new Church and Entrance sign to the church grounds. The address is 4705 W. Gulf to Lake Blvd. .Lecanto, Florida 34461 and their E-mail: priest@stmichaelgoc.org and web site is, www.stmichaelgoc.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment